[LLVMdev] [lld] Linker script findings.

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Sun Jan 6 12:05:52 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Shankar Easwaran
<shankare at codeaurora.org> wrote:
> You might want to look at the ELFLayout changes to see what functionality is
> missing from that.
>
> The ELFLayoutOptions has a hook into reading the Linker script which needs
> to be implemented.

So, looking into it a bit, I think that ELFLayoutOptions is not the
right place to parse the linker script. From what I can tell, it has
to be parsed during argument processing. As Nick pointed out, most of
the linker script stuff can be handled during the final writing stage,
but since the script can define symbols, it has to be parsed earlier.
Also, Nick's perspective was that "the linker scripts and the command
line arguments should all be parsed into one set of "options" to the
ELF Writer".

-- Sean Silva