[LLVMdev] Build Failure

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jan 2 14:05:47 PST 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:50 PM, <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> >> Why?  It seems like a pertty important compiler to support.
> >
> > It has some silly warnings (at least in some versions) that we don't
> > want to workaround/suppress. Arguably we could have the build system
> > check version information & suppress certain known-bad warnings on
> > specific GCC versions.
>
> That would be ideal, but honestly in my experience there are very few
> gcc warnings that should be ignored.  Which ones do you think should be
> ignored?

The implementations of -Wuninitialized, -Wreturn-type, and a few other GCC
warnings are extremely aggressive. They have high false positive rates with
few benefits. We regularly keep -Wreturn-type working despite this (see all
of the llvm_unreachable after switch statements), but the fix to silence
GCC's -Wuninitialized false positives actively degrades the quality of the
code -- it forces dead stores to variables. These dead stores are a waste
and prevent tools like Valgrind from finding very real bugs in the logic
which cause a variable to be left uninitialized.

I'm a big fan of -Werror, but only when the warnings actually make sense.
There are many older compilers (both Clang and GCC) which have false
positives in their warnings which should *not* be fixed because the code is
in fact correct. Even with the latest GCC, we would need to suppress some
warnings due to a fundamentally different approach to when and where the
warning is appropriate.