[LLVMdev] [vmkit] Errors compiling vmkt

Gaël Thomas gael.thomas at lip6.fr
Thu Feb 28 14:11:26 PST 2013

Hi Minas,

Basically, you should not have any difference between the two projects
:) (it's not really the case, but we are working on this problem). To
explain (sorry for my long email!), I work for a french research
institution (Inria) and, as we have an Inria research project around
VMKit, I had to create a repository inside my institution (a
researcher has always to make his institution happy:)).

At the beginning (6 month ago), it was more easy to have two different
repositories, one with a stable version hosted by llvm, the other one
with unstable contributions for the research project hosted by inria.
Now, the problem is that we have a lot of developments on the inria
repository because several PhD students and engineers are
contributing, and these contributions are not only strange research
ideas. As a result, VMKit2 (the inria version) is currently more
advanced than the llvm one. For example, we use the last version of
gnu classpath inside the inria repository while the llvm resository
still relies on an older version.

Fundamentally, I think that for the VMKit project, it's important to
be hosted as a subproject of llvm because VMKit heavily relies on llvm
(and because llvm is maybe a little bit more attractive than inria:)).
So, we will quickly re-merge the two projects and continuously
integrates the stable (and interesting) contributions of the inria
research project inside the llvm repository. We will also merge the
web pages and forget this stupid idea of VMKit2 (I will still keep a
separated repository hosted by inria for unstable or too specific
developments).

To conclude, we were a little bit overloaded these last weeks and we
have delayed the merge, but we will work on this soon (probably before
the end of march). For the moment, you should use the VMKit2
repository as it's probably the most advanced one.

See you,
Gaël