[LLVMdev] backend documentation

Vadim Khoptynets vadya.poiuj at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 17:47:06 PST 2013

Hello everyone!

Is there any documentation about LLVM backend implementation, except
"Writing an LLVM backend"? I'm trying to write InstrFormats.td and
InstrInfo.td for my backend now. After reading "Writing an LLVM backend"
and "Creating an LLVM Backend for the Cpu0 Architecture", many black holes
have remained. These tutorials describe it on concrete examples, but
general approach is missed. For example, how to implement different
addressing modes using ComplexPattern? How to write a matching function?
How does addressing modes correlate with address operands? When should we
implement our own DAG nodes? Why does some backends have Format field,
while other - don't? And so on...
So, maybe somebody have materials that could help to clarify process of
implementing backend? It might be books, articles, presentations etc.

--
Regards,
Vadim.