[LLVMdev] pseudo lowering

Reed Kotler rkotler at mips.com
Sun Feb 17 13:01:37 PST 2013

On 02/17/2013 12:48 PM, Andrew Trick wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2013, at 1:31 PM, Cameron Zwarich <zwarich at apple.com> wrote:
>
>> That's exactly the right place.
> Really? You don't want the expansion to be optimized? You want to specify a machine model for the pseudo's as if they're real instructions? You don't want to schedule or register allocate the real instructions?
>
> -Andy

So then maybe my code should be called during instruction selection?

The very original MIPs port was for Mips I and Mips I has a need for
lots of psuedos because it's primitive.
That code has mostly been removed now because we don't support Mips I
which is just an historical processor at this time.

I approach level one implementations of things from the point of view of
correctness and then make things better as I understand the problem better.

So my base scheme for all of this was to create multi line assembler
expansion in pseudos.

Now that I'm passing mostly all of test-suite, I'm starting improve things.

At this time, I'm starting to place expansion in

expandPostRAPseudo

Would it be possible to call this same code during instruction selection?

When I emitting the code for certain formats, I would need to call some emitter which basically the same kind of I'm calling from  expandPostRAPseudo now.