[LLVMdev] Question about fastcc assumptions and seemingly superfluous %esp updates

Arnold Schwaighofer aschwaighofer at apple.com
Fri Feb 15 10:11:31 PST 2013

Yes. As a side effect of this you cannot have some modules compiled with -tailcallopt and others not :(. This is implicit given by the fact that -tailcall opt changes the calling convention (http://llvm.org/docs/CodeGenerator.html#tail-call-optimization). Rereading this I think we should make this very important point explicit :).

> [...]
>>> entry:
>>> %tmp11 = tail call fastcc i32 @tailcallee( i32 %in1, i32 %in2, i32
>>> %in1, i32 %in2)
>>> ret i32 %tmp11
>>> }
>>>
>>> define i32 @foo(i32 %in1, i32 %in2) {
>>> entry:
>>> %q = call fastcc i32 @tailcaller(i32 %in2, i32 %in1)
>>> %ww = sub i32 %q, 6
>>> ret i32 %ww
>>> }
>>>
>>> Built with (ToT LLVM):
>>> llc < ~/temp/z.ll  -march=x86 -tailcallopt -O3
>>>
>>> The produced code is (cleaned up a bit)
>>>
>>> tailcallee:                             # @tailcallee
>>> movl  4(%esp), %eax
>>> ret  $12
>>>
>>> tailcaller:                             # @tailcaller
>>> subl  $12, %esp
>>> movl  %edx, 20(%esp)
>>> movl  %ecx, 16(%esp)
>>> addl  $12, %esp
>>> jmp  tailcallee              # TAILCALL
>>>
>>> foo:                                    # @foo
>>> subl  $12, %esp
>>> movl  20(%esp), %ecx
>>> movl  16(%esp), %edx
>>> calll  tailcaller
>>> subl  $12, %esp
>>> addl  $-6, %eax
>>> addl  $12, %esp
>>> ret
>>>
>>> A number of questions arise here:
>>>
>>> 1) Notice that 'tailcaller' goes beyond its own stack frame when
>>> arranging arguments for 'tailcallee'. It subs 12 from %esp, but then
>>> writes to 20(%esp). Clearly, something in the fastcc convention allows
>>> it to assume that stack space will be available there? What is it?
>>>
>> It writes to its incoming parameter space. When you tail call your callers outgoing parameter area is your outgoing parameter area. Now you are going to say: Wait a minute the required space for tail caller is zero! And you are right, there is a bug in the code that computes the required space (which needs to be 16 byte aligned): see X86ISelLowering::GetAlignedArgumentStackSize
>>
>> In general, the tail caller knows that there is space because it was called and its parameters were put there (plus some empty space to keep the stack 16byte aligned). To keep the stack aligned the parameter area changes in increments of 16. There was a bug (apparently, i did not upstream the fix for it :( ) in the may we calculate this "adjustment" that would cause a 0 stack space to pump up the alignment by 12 (16 - return addr). It is safe (because we are calling this function consistently), though we are wasting stack space.
>>

> So the right thing would be:
> foo knows that tailcaller only takes two ints, and because of fastcc
> these go in registers so no stack arguments are required. So it would
> not allocate space for arguments. Hence, tailcaller can no longer
> assume these exist, and in order to build the arguments for tailcallee
> would need to allocate some stack space on its own. Right?

Yes. This will happen if the patch is applied.
You can also test this by having "tailcaller" call a function with say 6 parameters. If it does not happen - then we have a serious bug with -tailcallopt :).

>> When we do the tail we ask: what is the required stack space of the caller and what is the required stack space of the callee. We subtract them. If the subtraction ends up to be zero you can just move the arguments, otherwise you have to adjust the stack(frame), possibly moving the return address around.
>>
>> tailcaller f(i32,i32) -> bug: GetAlignedArgumentStackSize returns that there is space for three arguments on the stack (as you can see in foo this space was really allocated).
>>
>> tailcallee f(i32,i32,i32,i32) -> also has space for three arguments on the stack
>>
>> And there is another bug that causes the code to assume a tail call is a normal call and as such you end up with
>>
>> tailcaller:                             # @tailcaller
>> subl  $12, %esp
>> addl  $12, %esp
>> jmp  tailcallee
>>
>> Again safe but not very efficient :).
>>
>>> 2) Note the %esp dance 'tailcaller' is doing - completely useless sub
>>> followed by add. Does this have an inherent goal or can it be
>>> eliminated?
>>>
>>> 3) The %esp dance of 'foo' is even stranger:
>>>
>>> subl  $12, %esp
>>> addl  $-6, %eax
>>> addl  $12, %esp
>>
>> Because of what I said in the beginning if a non fastcc function calls a fastcc function with tailcallopt on, it has do readjust the stack because the fastcc tail called function popped its arguments off the stack. Imagine you had two such call sites in a row.
>>

> Yep, but certainly the above can be optimized away? What would be the
> right stage to do it? Some peephole pass after the calls/prologs are
> emitted?

I would have to dig into this part of the code again. But you could certainly do it in a post prolog-epilogue-insertion pass.

>> After rummaging around on one of my old machines I found this patch. I most have forgotten to commit this (this is from 2011 so I probably does not apply cleanly anymore).
>>

> This is excellent. If you want to re-send the patch cleanly done vs.
> ToT with a test or two, I will gladly review it.

Sure will do.