[LLVMdev] GCMetadataPrinter::finishAssembly not executed?

Yiannis Tsiouris gtsiour at softlab.ntua.gr
Fri Feb 15 04:25:32 PST 2013

Hi Pedro (et al.),

On 02/14/2013 11:43 PM, Pedro Artigas wrote:
> I believe what is going on is that there is an issue with the way that information is deleted (the CG information).
Yeap, that's exactly the problem! :-) I noticed that the
GCModuleInfo::iterator (line 931 in
lib/CodeGen/AsmPrinter/AsmPrinter.cpp) is empty and, thus,
GCMetadataPrinter::finishAssembly is never called.

> Right now there is a pass whose only job is to delete that information (CGInfoDeleter) and that pass deletes the info before the AsmPrinter has a chance to call the finishAssembly function. Right now the order that the doFinalization is called on passes is the reverse order of doInitialization (and that makes sense as if a pass depends on some other pass it has to initialize after that pass and clean up before it) so the deleter pass would have to be added in the pass order after the AsmPrinter pass as that pass clearly depends on the Deleter pass (passes that have dependencies on other passes should finalize before the pass it depends on does).
>
> I have a hunch that the very need for the Deleter pass is that the order of deletion was somewhat undefined before and by having an specific pass one could place the deletion wherever she/he sees fit. Now that the doFinalization order is the reverse of the doInitialization one can probably just not have a deleter and free the info inside the printer pass. The AsmPrinter depends on the Printer pass so the new order should take care of initialization and finalization at the right time.
>
> Does this make sense?
Hmm, I see what happens with the doInitialization/doFinalization and the
pass dependencies. This makes sense to me.

One question though: does this mean that someone has to modify the
GCMetadataPrinter instance to explicitly take care of the deletion of
the metadata or changing the order of the Deleter/Printer passes should
do the trick? If I got it right, this should happen automatically.

yiannis

--
Yiannis Tsiouris
Ph.D. student,