[LLVMdev] Emulating an infinite register file in the backend

nkavv at physics.auth.gr nkavv at physics.auth.gr
Mon Feb 11 15:32:54 PST 2013

Hi Justin and all,

you've mentioned that you used an easy "trick" for defining an
infinite register file in the backend.

Does this involve defining a single dummy register, and then adding
this dummy reg to each register class? Is anything more needed? I
refer to the RegisterInfo.td file, as e.g:
llvm-3.0.src/lib/Target/PTX/PTXRegisterInfo.td

I'm (just starting) implementing an LLVM target that bares some
similarities to PTX. One of these is the notion of infinite registers,
since my target too is a kind of virtual/universal machine.

My target will not emit object files, so there i would prefer not to
define a very larget register file and mess with formats. A bit-level
format will at some point be defined but i don't want to fix it from
now.

So your approach seems highly relevant.

Best regards
Nikolaos Kavvadias