[LLVMdev] Using CMake/Ninja on buildbots

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Feb 6 13:41:06 PST 2013

Hi all,

A discussion was being carried on llvmcommits about the extra time for
cleaning and re-building objects that didn't need to be built on buildbots.

Since they just update the repository, builds could be a lot faster if we
let the objects in place. Even faster if we used Ninja with CMake. Is there
a crucial reason why we're still using autoconf for all builds?

Some of us acknowledge that sometimes the build gets stuck because of a
CMake file problem or change that the build can't get around automatically.
It's probably because of those issues that a "make clean" is done on almost
all buildbots.

The point is that, for the exception, we're paying it in full, every single
build. Some of us proposed, then, that we could not have the clean phase on
buildbots in the first place, and deal with the exceptions when they
happen. Does that sound terrible to anyone?

I also think we could create a "clean" button on the bot web interface, so
that anyone can just clean the build if the bot gets stuck. We also can
perform a routine make clean, say, every Sunday, so that we're sure we're
not wrongly passing tests that should be failing.

Thoughts?

cheers,
--renato