[LLVMdev] [Polly] Parallelizing outer loop containing inner reduction loop

Preston Briggs preston.briggs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:42:56 PST 2013

> llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu>
> Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 17:53:11 +0100
> Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] [Polly] Parallelizing outer loop containing inner
> reduction loop
> On 02/04/2013 04:55 PM, Dmitry Mikushin wrote:
>
>> Hi Tobi,
>>
>> Thanks for looking into this!
>>
>> 2013/2/4 Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es <mailto:tobias at grosser.es>>
>>
>>     In any case, you seemed to have in some way convinced Polly to
>>     accept this code. Would you mind to share what you did?
>>

>> Sure. Aliasing is simply ignored. Instead we have substituted pointers
>> and sizes for arrays and a special pass that converts memory accesses
>> from every scop statement into ISL general form.
>>

> Interesting, why did you do this?
>
>  Sorry, we are quite far
>> from standard polly invocation process, maybe I should prepare some
>> simplified plugin for testing purposes...
>>

> Or at least state that this is not standard polly. ;-) Then I would not
> keep trying to reproduce the problem.
>
>      Regarding your problem. As far as I understand, the problem is that
>>     the following code:
>>
>>     for (i
>>        A[i] = 0
>>        for (j
>>            A[i] +=
>>        ... = A[i]
>>
>>     is changed by gcc (and other optimizations) to:
>>
>>     for (i
>>        A[i] = 0
>>        tmp = A[i]
>>
>>        for (j
>>            tmp +=
>>
>>        A[i] = tmp
>>        ... = A[i]
>>

>> Yes, exactly!
>>

>>     This is a common optimization that unfortunately introduces a lot of
>>     dependences on tmp that block any direct parallelization. To
>>     parallelize the loop anyway we would need to expand the memory of
>>     tmp, such that each parallel thread has a private copy of 'tmp'.
>>     Deciding where and how to expand memory to enable further
>>     transformations is in general difficult such that I would normally
>>     run Polly before such optimizations are performed. Tough, in your
>>     case it may still be possible to parallelize the loop. To do this,
>>     you would need to ignore all dependences that can be removed by
>>     creating thread private copies of 'tmp'. If you are interested in
>>     having this implemented either open a bug report or give it a try
>>     yourself. I am happy to assist.
>>

>> Hm, how to create thread-private copies of tmp at that point and how
>> useful could it be?

Many auto-vectorizing compilers do such a thing (sometimes called "scalar
expansion") as a way to attack otherwise parallel loops.

There are different approaches how to create thread private copies. You
> could aim to get back to the code in '1.ll' by creating an array with as
> many elements as there are iterations in the loop. That should be very
> general and independent of the platform specific parallel implementation.
> However, such a general implementation may introduce a lot of additional
> memory, which requires us to be careful with such transformations.

A better solution is to create an array with as many elements as there are
threads, or, in the case of vectorization, as many elements as the length
of the vector. Much less expensive!