[LLVMdev] State of build system support in LLVM

Michał Górny mgorny at gentoo.org
Fri Dec 27 09:04:50 PST 2013

Dnia 2013-12-27, o godz. 17:41:01
Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre at debian.org> napisał(a):

> On 26/12/2013 14:19, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Hello, all.
> >
> > I'm a fairly new maintainer of Gentoo packages for LLVM and clang. I'm
> > trying to improve the way LLVM is built on Gentoo, and that's why I'm
> > wondering which of the build systems of LLVM is supported better.
> >
> > As far as I'm aware, LLVM can be currently built using one of the two
> > build systems:
> >
> > - one built on top of autoconf with custom Makefiles,
> >
> > - the other one built on top of cmake with custom cmake modules.
> From the Debian/Ubuntu perspective, I am using the autotools build system.
> As mentioned before, the bug 15732 tracks it. I might be switching to
> cmake once it is fixed but until then. I will be using autotools.
>
> I will be happy to help you if you need anything.

Well, the most important thing right now would be to disable split
static libraries and force shared linking for everything. Sadly, that's
nowhere near to easy to do with a custom build system.

Additionally, I'd love to see those shared libs have sane SONAMEs.
Currently only the custom libLLVM-3.5svn.so has pseudo-name but not
many projects actually use that at all...

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny