[LLVMdev] [RFC] Iterrative compilation framework for Clang/LLVM

Radovan Obradovic Radovan.Obradovic at imgtec.com
Tue Dec 17 18:33:19 PST 2013

Hal,

Thank you for finding interest in our work!
Please find my answers inlined below.

Our belief is that this approach can be beneficial, especially
for non-orthogonal architectures (e.g. microMIPS), thus we plan
to continue our work on this.

> [...]
> > unpredictability
> > of these interferences, compilers sometimes make decisions which can
> > degrade
> > code quality. Iterative compilation could partially resolve these
> > problems
> > by allowing compiler to explore some alternative decisions, generate
> > code
> > for these new decision paths and take the generated code that is the
> > best
> > for a particular criteria eventually.
> >
> > This approach is not new in the literature, we can mention
> > Milepost/CTuning
> > [http://ctuning.org] among other projects. In this approach, in
> > comparison
> > to Milepost/CTuning, the emphasis is on much finer granularity by
> > changing
> > arbitrary compiler decisions, and not only those based on values of
> > command
> > line options, at any point in translation process.
> >
> > This framework implements iterative approach in which in every
> > iteration
> > slightly different code is generated. At the end of compilation
> > process the
> > best emitted code is chosen.
> >
> > All points at which relevant decisions are made should be identified.
> > Access to framework data structure (DecisionTree) should be provided
> > at
> > these points. Based on the data from DecisionTree, obtained by
> > calling
> > getDecision member function, at these points decisions are made
> > whether to
> > execute default actions (as compiler would do without this framework)
> > or to
> > follow alternative paths.
> >
> > Let us consider Inliner example:
> >
> > Original code:
> >
> > if (!IC) {
> > DEBUG(dbgs() << " NOT Inlining: cost=" << IC.getCost()
> > << ", thres=" << (IC.getCostDelta() + IC.getCost())
> > << ", Call: " << *CS.getInstruction() << "\n");
> > return false;
> > }
> >
> > Code after instrumentalization:
> >
> > bool doInlinging = (bool)IC;
> > DecisionTreeProxy *decisionTreeProxy;
> > decisionTreeProxy =
> > moduleDecisionTreeProxies->getCurrFnDecisionTreeProxy();
> > int t = MaxDtPriority - abs(IC.getCostDelta());
> > bool decision = false;
> > if (t >= 0)
> > decision = decisionTreeProxy->getDecision(call);
> > if (decision)
> > doInlinging = !doInlinging;
> >
> > if (!doInlinging) {
> > DEBUG(dbgs() << " NOT Inlining: cost=" << IC.getCost()
> > << ", thres=" << (IC.getCostDelta() + IC.getCost())
> > << ", Call: " << *CS.getInstruction() << "\n");
> > return false;
> > }
>
> Talking a quick look over the patch, this seems to introduce a lot
> of boilerplate code. Can you think of a design that simplifies this?

It is necessary to access decision tree at every place where you
want to call getDecision function and priority parameter must be
calculated which is specific to every such place. It is only a
few lines of code but we will consider how to improve this.
All suggestions are welcomed.

> > Function getDecision returns true or false. If false is returned than
> > this
> > means to take default path and true means to take alternative one.
> >
> > Compilation process can be represented by sequence of binary values
> > where
> > every value determines decision made at some point. Value FALSE means
> > follow normal compilation process as original compiler would do
> > without
> > presence of iterative compilation framework. TRUE value means to take
> > alternative path or to make opposite decision at that point. This
> > naturally
> > forms tree like structure which we named Decision Tree.
> > Traversing the tree from the root to the leaf of the tree provides
> > all the
> > decisions made during one iteration in compilation process.
> >
> > At the end of each iteration, quality of generated code is estimated
> > by
> > executing newly introduced target dependent pass. Based on results
> > path for
> > the following iteration is calculated. At the moment, this has been
> > proved
> > for MIPS only and it is based on code size.
>
> I think that, in general, we ought to be able to get an overall
> latency estimate from the instruction scheduler.

Criteria to optimize for speed should be added as well. Do you
think that latency info form scheduler can be used to estimate
execution speed of generated code? Can we guess somehow the execution
frequency of basic blocks?

> > Initially iterative compilation framework was implemented in CodeGen
> > phase
> > but large number of code transformations was already performed in
> > earlier
> > phases. This reduces possibilities to improve quality of generated
> > code.
> > Thus iterative compilation framework is applied to Clang driver where
> > it can
> > influence every single compiler phase. This relocation resulted in
> > some
> > implementation issues mostly related to the fact that driver and the
> > compiler itself (-cc1) are located in different processes. This is
> > resolved
> > by introducing DecisionTreeProxy class that implements communication
> > between
> > these two processes through temporary files.
>
> I think that this can be solved by introducing some API for the
> necessary data flow. There is obviously already a binding here.

This probably needs to be fixed. All suggestions are welcomed.

> > At this point mechanism is applied to two optimizations: Inliner and
> > Loop
> > Invariant Code Motion. Supported platform is MIPS32r2.
> >
> > Despite small number of instrumented points we got improvements on
> > some test
> > files from CSiBE benchmark. Here are the promising results:
> >
> > jpeg-6b/jidctflt.c -10.2%
> > OpenTCP-1.0.4/system.c -6.7%
> > libmspack/test/chmd_md5.c -5.8%
> > flex-2.5.31/regex.c -4.8%
>
> Very interesting. Out of curiosity, any slowdowns?

jidctflt.c is optimized due to the fact that LICM moves some
constant definitions out of the loop and increases the register
pressure so some spills occur. So optimized version, in this
case, should be even faster. But slowdowns are possible and we
use option -Oz so we are telling the compiler that code size
is the priority.

> > We plan to apply this framework to more compiler phases and to some
> > other
> > target architectures. It is expected to give better results on some
> > non
> > orthogonal architectures like microMIPS. Another direction is to
> > apply
> > machine learning based on some input program features (number of
> > basic
> > blocks, register pressure at some point etc.) and it can be used for
> > selecting compilation path for the next iteration or estimating the
> > best
> > path for compiling program without using iterative approach (with
> > only one
> > iteration).

> > / \
> > / \
> > o \
> > / \
> > / \
> > o o
> > / \ /
> > / \ /
> > L1 o o
> > / /
> > / /
> > L2 L3
> >
> > Figure 1: Decision Tree Example - Symbol 'o' represent decision
> > points. If
> > getDecision function returns FALSE the left branch is taken (default
> > path),
> > otherwise the right branch is taken.
> > 'L1' compilation iteration can be represented as a string
> > (FALSE,FALSE,FALSE), 'L2' as (FALSE,FALSE,TRUE,FALSE) and 'L3'
> > as (TRUE, FALSE, FALSE).
> >

> > Clearly, we see huge potential in this direction. At the same time,
> > we are
> > aware this would cause compiler to be slower which everyone is
> > against, but
> > this penalty can be taken when we are in need for most optimized
> > code.
>
> What is the overhead of the current implementation? I suspect that,
> in order to control the large number of decision points from large
> regions, we will want some way to limit fine-grained decisions in
> the tree in large regions (and only including coarse ones, like the
> inlining of relatively large functions). In small blocks, on the
> other hand, we might even include instruction scheduling decisions
> (for in-order cores).

In the current implementation one full compilation per
decision is needed. Plan is that, for CodeGen pass, do once all the
passes of CodeGen per decision (to reuse bitcode). Machine learning should
considerably reduce the need for the large number of iterations.

> I'd been thinking of experimenting with some iterative scheduling
> for my in-order PPC cores (for small blocks in loops), and
> integrating it into something like this might be even better.
>

> > What does everyone think?
> > Could this approach be considered as a valid mode for Clang/LLVM?
> >
> > Please use this post and the attached patch (it can be applied to 3.3
> > release - clang should be inside llvm/tools folder) as a reference
> > and
> > not the patch for submission.
>
> I see in the patch some (seemingly small) changes to the pass manager
> setup. Can you describe exactly what you've done. Chandler is
> rewriting the pass infrastructure, and I'd like to understand how
> what you've done will or won't fit with the new setup.

Pointer to decision tree proxy has to be passed to every place
where getDecision is called and to the pass that calculates function
fitness. So pointer to it is added in Pass and PassManagerBase classes.
We will provide more detail explanation later.