[LLVMdev] Implementing the ldr pseudo instruction in ARM integrated assembler

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Tue Dec 17 14:02:34 PST 2013

On Dec 17, 2013, at 12:19 PM, David Peixotto <dpeixott at codeaurora.org> wrote:

>>> I wrote the tests before I did the actual implementation and I thought
>>> I would be generating the relocations myself. The implementation
>>> turned out to be much simpler than I imagined and I was able to lean
>>> on the existing support for generating relocations and fixups. I
>>> expect all these relocations would be covered by other tests.
>>>

>> Makes sense. FWIW, I'm pleasantly stunned at how small the actual patches
>> are. I was expecting it to need more plumbing. This is most excellent.
>
> Yes I was suprised as well.
>
>>> I think we still would need separate tests for darwin/linux because
>>> the syntax for creating sections (for example) is different.
>>
>> Fair. Can just be multiple RUN lines in the same test file?
>
> I think it still needs separate files because of the different assembly
> input syntax for darwin/linux.

Ah, I see what you mean. For testing non-standard code sections and such. OK, that’s unfortunate but makes sense. Comment headers in the files to indicate the cross reference would be good to help make sure any later changes to one file will happen to the other when appropriate.

>>> One option is to leave the object test for the errors (out of range
>>> fixup) and switch to asm tests for the others.
>>
>> This sounds like a good approach to me.
>>
>> Now that I'm looking at the right code, I don't see anything more that
>> needs doing than what's already been discussed. This LGTM with those
>> changes.
>
> Ok, I will make the final changes and commit. Of course any further feedback
> can be addressed in a post-commit review.

Yep, works for me.

-Jim