[LLVMdev] Float undef value propagation

Raoux, Thomas F thomas.f.raoux at intel.com
Wed Dec 11 12:08:17 PST 2013

You are right some cases would definitely not be right like undef + Nan -> undef. For 2.0f case I'm not sure either if any bits could be known.
It seems that in general fadd( float undef, float %1) -> float %1 should always be safe and I just checked with latest code this doesn't happen.

Do you think the right solution would be to add such optimization? Is there any reason why we keep some arithmetic constant expressions while those could always be evaluated as far as I understand (unless it uses global pointers)?
In this example there might be cases where we would be able to propagate undef which could generate better code.

Thanks,
Thomas