[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] ARM Integrated Assembler

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Dec 11 00:56:22 PST 2013

On 11 December 2013 08:42, James Molloy <james at jamesmolloy.co.uk> wrote:
> FWIW, I also agree with Joerg that it would be very poor form to turn on
> -integrated-as when it can't even eat its own output. This has bitten me
> before (had to pass -no-integrated-as to reassemble .S output).

Hi James,

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, and I've been searching for
issues for the past month to make sure no one had any serious
complaints about that.

I've split this into three levels:

1. Dog feeding
2. Critical GNU extensions
3. Oddities

Your concern, and Joergs (and of everyone else for that matter), is
that level one is attained before IAS is on by default. So far, to
everyone that I asked on the list and outside, no one has any
complaints about level one any more. The last two are being reviewed
as we speak and should land in trunk fairly quickly.

The second concern is also being addressed, but the most critical ones
are done already (or being done), and turning the IAS on will help us
identify the missing features. I intend to keep track of those
features and make sure most of them are done by the next release.

For the third class, you can always use -no-integrated-as, or "patches
welcome" (TM).

> I would really like to see it turned on in 3.4 however (just with fixes in
> place)!

I don't think 3.4 is the right release to do that. Besides, we need to
keep people aware that this has changed (for those tracking trunk,
which seems to be the final consensus on how to track LLVM), so that
they get their own stuff ready before the next release.

I'm aiming to get this out in 3.5, but if there is any horrid bug we
can't fix without a major overhaul, than, well, we wait a bit more.
But I don't think that'll happen.

cheers,
--renato