[LLVMdev] [RFC] MCJIT usage models

Keno Fischer kfischer at college.harvard.edu
Mon Dec 9 19:09:22 PST 2013

With Julia, we're obviously very much in the first use case. As you know,
we pretty much have a working version of Julia on top of MCJIT, but there's
still a few kinks to work out, which I'll talk about in a separate email.

One think which I remember you asking at the BOF is what MCJIT currently
can't do well that the old JIT did, so I'd like to offer up an example.
With the old JIT, I used Clang to do dynamic code generation to interface
to C++ easily. Now you might argue that is either a problem with clang or
rather a misuse of clang, but I'd like to think that we should keep the
tools as flexible as possible, so applications like this can emerge. With
the old JIT, I'd incrementally compile functions as Clang added them to the
Module, but with MCJIT that kind of stuff is rather tricky. What I ended up
doing was having Clang emit into a shadow module that never gets codegen'd
and when a function is requested, pulling that function and it's closure
out of the shadow module into the current MCJIT module. Perhaps
functionality like that should be more readily available in base LLVM to be
able to use MCJIT with clients not necessarily designed for use with MCJIT.