[LLVMdev] LLVM 3.4rc2 Binaries Now Available

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Dec 4 05:42:25 PST 2013

Bill, et al.,

FYI, there are currently two issues that I'm tracking that should be fixed prior to release:

 1. PowerPC self-hosting is currently broken(*), triggered by a change made to improve if conversion on ARM. There is a patch on the commits list that fixes problems seen by self hosting (and, if nothing else, that patch should likely go into 3.4), but I don't think that any of us are convinced that this is the right solution in principle. If you could pin down Evan (who I believe wrote the original code in question), or someone else familiar with ARM and if conversion, to look at this, I think that would help a lot.

 See the thread, "Re: [llvm] r190309 - [ARMv8] Prevent generation of deprecated IT blocks on ARMv8 in Thumb mode." on the llvm-commits list.

 2. There is a set of (fairly simple) C programs in PR16431 that are currently miscompiled by Clang/LLVM >= -O2 on x86_64 (both Linux and Mac). I've isolated what appear to be the two underlying bugs in PR18067 (GVN) and PR18068 (DSE). We need to have these looked at.

I would appreciate any assistance you could provide.

Thanks again,
Hal

(*) Only when compiling without asserts, which is why the buildbots currently miss the problem.