[LLVMdev] [polly] one more slow pretty printing in the default path

Tobias Grosser tobias at grosser.es
Wed Aug 28 12:44:05 PDT 2013

On 08/28/2013 10:08 AM, Sebastian Pop wrote:
> Hi,tic
>
> in lib/Analysis/RegionPass.cpp there are 3 occurrences of:
> CurrentRegion->getNameStr()
> These are slowing down compile times with polly.
> I would suggest to either remove these calls,
> or only turn on when the programmer asks for -debug.
>
> The reason for the slow pretty printing of types is the same as
> previously discussed in:
> http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2013-July/063755.html

Just removing those calls looks like a hack as it yields -analyse output
without named regions.

On the other side, having calls to WriteAsOperand in
Region::getNameStr() is the cause of this slowdown. It helps us to
provide a reasonable way to name regions that do have unnamed basic
blocks. If we can find a better/faster way to name such regions we could
remove the call to WriteAsOperand without regrets. We could e.g. just
assign an increasing number to each new region and just call them
region_<number>.

Cheers,
Tobi