[LLVMdev] llvm.meta (was Rotated loop identification)

Andrew Trick atrick at apple.com
Mon Aug 19 22:06:02 PDT 2013

On Aug 19, 2013, at 8:06 PM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> [...]

Metadata is a better approach because it doesn’t interfere with optimizations that are free to ignore it.

Yes, if the invariant expression requires IR values and real uses, then that defeats the purpose. I prefer a meta-data language to the alternative of ephemeral expressions. I could be convinced either way. I just think it will be confusing to mix ephemeral expressions with program logic and impractical to make it transparent to optimizations. Not the end of the world though, and I’ll listen to any strong arguments to the contrary.

> On the other hand, when I started down this road I was motivated by a desire to implement support for __builtin_assume_aligned. I would still like to do this, or something like this to get equivalent functionality. The idea of metadata references seems like it might work well for alignment assumptions, as a restricted special case. Maybe something like this:
>
> tail call void @llvm.assume.aligned(metadata !{i32* %ptr}, i32 16)

I think this concept is sound except for the problem of enforcing SSA properties. Do meta-data operands need to dominate? If so, we need to fix SSA updater to deal with this. Preserving the meta-data after code duplication would effectively require a meta-phi. We don’t want a real phi because we don’t want a real use. Admittedly this would be annoying, but we could always drop the metadata users instead. You could get by initially without solving this problem, as we’ve done with dbg.value.

I’m a bit less enthusiastic about meta-intrinsics after realizing that the only current example, dbg.value, is a poor use of the concept. It should have been meta-data attached directly to the value with source line info instead.

If we could demonstrate the advantage of converting lifetime intrinsics to meta-instrinsics (not real uses), then I’d be all for it.

> but then the problem becomes making sure that these things stick around long enough to help the interesting inlining cases. Thoughts?

Ensuring meta-data sticks around seems like the dual of the problem of ensuring ephemeral values and uses don’t interfere with optimization. I’d rather have the first problem? Is it really harder?

So, you have two problems:

1) Expressing the invariants. A meta-data language could be invented for this initially. Or simply constant operands to an alignment intrinsic as in your example.

2) Associating the invariants with IR values. Options are, in order from the easiest to implement and sell to the public to the most complicated but robust:

2a) Attach meta-data to the value. This only works when constraint dominates all uses. Inlining would need to check before propagating.

2b) Add a real use to a special intrinsic: tail call void @llvm.assume.aligned(i32* %ptr, i32 16)

2c) Add a meta-use to an intrinsic (pure meta-intrinsic): tail call void @llvm.assume.aligned(metadata !{i32* %ptr}, i32 16)

I think it’s a question of whether the simpler approaches work well enough for you.

-Andy