[LLVMdev] lit support for Python3

Gregory Szorc gregory.szorc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 19:46:24 PDT 2013

On 8/14/2013 3:01 PM, Sean Silva wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at google.com
> <mailto:eliben at google.com>> wrote:
>

>     Now get rid of pre-2.6 Python support ;-) Not only it helps clean-up
>     code, by 2-and-3 coexistence is much easier.
>

> It looks like Daniel was able to add py3k support fairly cleanly. I'm
> not sure how much of a difference removing pre-2.6 support would make at
> this point. (also, let's not start down the road of that discussion, as
> it has been quite incendiary in the past)

>From my personal experience with Firefox, maintaining dual 2.x and 3.x
support is much easier the fewer 2.x releases you must support. We've
required 2.7 for some time now (although we don't yet support running on
3.x, we try to write most new Python to be dual compatible). We're even
planning to bump the minimum to 2.7.3+ due to the number of unicode
strings bugs in <=2.7.2 (these bugs make dual compatibility especially
difficult). The world did not end for us when we dropped 2.6 support. I
encourage other projects to do the same.