[LLVMdev] Address space extension

Michele Scandale michele.scandale at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 12:49:30 PDT 2013

On 08/08/2013 07:09 PM, Justin Holewinski wrote:
> I like having such a guarantee available, but I hesitate to *require*
> metadata in the IR.  Perhaps if the metadata doesn't exist the verifier
> assumes the casts are valid and the optimizers have to assume all
> address spaces alias?

Without the overlap information the process is still safe if the default
behavior is aliasing between all the address spaces.

The *mapping information* are necessary to have a safe instruction
selection: they should guarantee that every (logical) address space in
the IR is mapped to an address space that is known in the backend.

Do you agree with this specific point related to *mapping information*?

Thanks.

-Michele