[LLVMdev] Address space extension

Michele Scandale michele.scandale at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 16:45:13 PDT 2013

On 08/08/2013 01:36 AM, Justin Holewinski wrote:
> It's not clear to me how this would work for targets that use the same
> physical address space for multiple language-specific address spaces.
>   If a target maps both constant and global to address space 42 (for
> example), how would the optimizer differentiate between these two?

I think that the proposal of Pete would imply that in the IR the logical
address spaces are represented with addrspace modifier (3 for constant
and 1 for global) so the optimizer can distinguish the two and using
"address space metadata" can derive properties related to this address
spaces.
During the instruction selection the mapping information are used to
drive the selection phase.

IMO whenever possible both address spaces informations must be maintained.