[LLVMdev] Address space extension

Erik Schnetter schnetter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 16:07:51 PDT 2013

On 2013-08-07, at 18:55 , Matt Arsenault <Matthew.Arsenault at amd.com> wrote:

> On 08/07/2013 03:52 PM, Michele Scandale wrote:
>>
>> In the opencl specification is said that the four address spaces are disjoint, so my conclusion of non aliasing with the others.
> In OpenCL 2.0, you can cast between the generic address space and global/local/private, so there's also that to consider.

I believe this just means that there is a single equivalent of "void*" that can hold all kinds of pointers and address spaces. Casting forth and back must preserve the address space. If I read the standard correctly, the OpenCL compiler may also compile functions several times, once for each combination of address spaces.

-erik

--
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at gmail.com>

and signing email messages. Get my PGP key from http://pgp.mit.edu/.