[LLVMdev] Can I add GlobalVariable in MachineFunctionPass ?

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 08:21:50 PDT 2013

Yes, global variables are the only way to access shared memory.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what you're aiming to accomplish to see
if we can improve on the interface here.  A MachineFunctionPass runs after
instruction selection and relying on doInitialization to run before
instruction selection is an implementation detail that I do not believe is
guaranteed anywhere (I could be wrong!).  And modifying the IR does in fact
violate the rules for a MachineFunctionPass (see bullet 1 in
http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMPass.html#the-machinefunctionpass-class).

If you explain what you're trying to accomplish, I can try to help figure
out a good approach here.  There very well may be limitations to the
current infrastructure that need to be fixed.

--

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski