[LLVMdev] How to prevent LLVM from emitting R_X86_64_32 ELF relocations?

Keith Walker keith.walker at arm.com
Mon Apr 29 09:12:02 PDT 2013

I think that you may have confused 2 separate issues here; the size of the
DWARF tables with the size of addresses on the target system.

The 32-bit DWARF vs. 64-bit DWARF is all about the size of the tables in the
DWARF sections (and hence also the size of the references between entries in
the tables).

So a 32-bit DWARF section can correctly describe code/data addresses that
are 64-bit, and any references to variables/functions will require 64-bit
relocation entries.

However in this case the DWARF sections are effectively limited in size, and
references between one DWARF entry and another will use 32-bit relocation
entries.   It is these 32-bit relocations entries that I think you are
seeing in your image.

You only need to go to 64-bit DWARF when your debugging information becomes
too large to fit in 32-bit DWARF tables.

Keith