[LLVMdev] Proposal for new Legalization framework

Krzysztof Parzyszek kparzysz at codeaurora.org
Thu Apr 25 08:16:52 PDT 2013

On 4/25/2013 9:58 AM, Dan Gohman wrote:

> It really needs some stiff refactoring. And optimization. And better
> documentation. And better developer tools. But with all the other
> problems, the zeitgeist has turned against it.

I appreciate the detailed explanation.  Thanks!

Speaking of the .td files and the table-driven instruction
selection---yes, I think that there is a tendency for the .td files to
become unreadable, and the selection process (divided into the custom
and automatic lowering) to be somewhat harder to track and debug than
the other passes.  In the long term, are there ideas to replace the
tablegen with another tool?  The reason I ask is that I plan to develop
a pattern-driven instruction combiner/simplifier for our Hexagon
backend, that would work on the MI level, and I was planning to use
tablegen and .td files to represent the patterns.  The only reason for
that is that tablegen is already here, but I would be interested in any
suggestions on how to represent MI patterns in ways that are (1) easy to
edit/add/understand, and (2) not prohibitively complex/obscure for the
code to work with (i.e. parse/match/substitute/etc.).

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation