[LLVMdev] Feedback required on proper dllexport/import implementation

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Tue Apr 23 11:16:27 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 1:10 PM, Gao, Yunzhong <Yunzhong.Gao at am.sony.com> wrote:
> Hi Nico, Reid, and Anton,
>
> I missed the discussion when I implemented dllexport/dllimport for our local tree. I
> essentially implemented your approach#1. I was trying to avoid the various
> external_linkage + some_attribute approaches because it seems that external_linkage
> would imply the external linkage without the dllimport/dllexport semantics, and there
> may be existing compiler codes that rely on this semantics. If I used external_linkage
> + some attribute, then any place in existing codes that uses hasExternalLInkage() will
> have to be modified to check both the linkage type as well as the attribute list, which
> seems a bit fragile to maintain; somebody somewhere will forget to check the attributes
> when writing their new optimization or garbage collection passes.
>
> I think dllimport inline functions are more closely related to the available_externally
> linkage than linkonce_odr; no COMDAT is involved and no .linkonce discard directive
> is needed. I would name it dllimport_inline or something similar.

Ah, you're right.  dllimport_inline is basically available_externally,
with an indirect call through [__imp_foo] if we choose not to inline.

> While it makes sense to mimic MSVC behavior and MSDN doc for C++ codes, it is
> not very clear to me what should be the correct semantics when a C99 inline function
> carries a dllimport/dllexport declspec. For example,
>
> inline __declspec(dllimport) int foo() { return 100; }
> extern inline int foo();
>
> Currently clang ignores the dllimport attribute, so what's left will be:
> inline int foo() { return 100; }
> extern inline int foo(); // this declaration demands an out-of-line definition
>
> The second declaration with the "extern" keyword demands that foo() have an out-
> of-line function definition. If foo() is actually being dllexported from a DLL, there will be
> duplicate definitions at load time (I think some calls will resolve to one symbol and others
> will resolve to a different symbol foo).
>
> If clang wants to respect the dllimport attribute, then the two declarations would have a
> conflict regarding whether a function body should be generated/externally visible.
>
> An alternative is to generate an error message whenever a C99 inline function is used
> with a dllimport/dllexport declspec.

Yep, diagnosing this sounds best.  MSVC doesn't support C99 inline so
there shouldn't be much of this kind of code out there.

> In a similar manner, I wonder what should be the correct semantics of:
> inline __declspec(dllexport) int foo() { return 100; }
>
> I guess I could let dllexport imply "extern", so that an out-of-line definition always gets
> generated, but is that the expected behavior?

Yes, I believe dllexport requires that we instantiate a foo that gets
linked once, and is also exported, like C99 extern inline.