[LLVMdev] Test-Suite Bots failing randomly

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Mon Apr 22 10:56:53 PDT 2013

On 22 April 2013 18:02, Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> wrote:

> Ok, so we are already downloading from a private server (lab.llvm.org),
> which IMHO we should be doing because we want tight control over the
> dependencies etc.

Agreed.

I forgot that your machine is outside the lab, so that may be involved
> here. I don't fully understand the networking setup but it is very
> different outside vs inside. That said, I ran some timings from our network
> here to lab.llvm.org, and I couldn't reproduce any connectivity issues
> from here.

By the same time you replied I found out that there were networking issues
in our lab, so it's probably our fault. Sorry for the noise. :(

In theory, it should be fixed, so let's wait until tomorrow and I'll follow
the bot closely to see if there's any problem.

Renato, can you try running some testing on your side to quantify where the
> connectivity issue is? Things like:
> $ ab -c 3 -n 100 http://lab.llvm.org/packages/SQLAlchemy-0.6.6.tar.gz
> work fine from here.

Works on our lab, too. That is, now...

That said, it *would* be nice to harden this code against that failure mode
> -- one reasonable way would be to have the buildbot slave mirror the
> packages directory locally (using rsync or so) and do the install from
> there. We can make the rsync command not cause a buildbot failure, since we
> rarely change the packages. Any interest in making these changes to the
> buildbot config?

I wonder if the Python code that downloads it doesn't already provide a
mechanism to cache the files. I don't think we need an external rsync, just
save the temporary files on /tmp and retrieve from there on failure to
resolve the external host. A warning would probably be in order.

I can have a look at the script. Would be great if you could tell me where
I can find the basic stuff. ;)

cheers,
--renato