[LLVMdev] GSoC pre-proposal (instrumentation pass)

Tyler Hardin tghardin1 at catamount.wcu.edu
Fri Apr 19 15:44:25 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'd like to propose a GSoC project with the goal of implementing a library
for profiling instrumentation of LLVM IR.

Currently, my idea is make the library general enough to insert arbitrary
code or a call to a void(*)(void) before or after reads/writes from a
specified variable or in the prologue/epilogue of a specified function.

I would like to build more than this on top of the general interface, but a
lot of profiling specific code is also above LLVM's level, such as getting
timestamps to measure time spent in a function or outputting results to a
file (like gcc -pg).

As a compromise, I could implement the higher level profiling
instrumentation in clang. The goal of this part of the project would be to
build on top of the general library to the point that clang could support
gprof profiling.

The instrumentation would be inserted by an LLVM pass.

I'm posting here to get a feel of what you guys think before I advance in
the process and to receive any and all suggestions with an open mind. And
also to see if there are any mentors willing guide me in this.

Thanks for reading,
Tyler Hardin