[LLVMdev] unable to build clang/llvm

Tim Northover t.p.northover at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 08:38:29 PDT 2013

Hi,

> I followed the instructions given on http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html
> to build clang/llvm, but when I do make, I get the following errors.
>
> collect2: ld terminated with signal 9 [Killed]

Most likely you ran out of memory and the link step (ld) was killed.
Try monitoring usage while building to confirm. It's not entirely
clear what platform you're using, but possible solutions are:
+ Use ld.gold instead of (the usually default) ld.bfd
+ Don't parallelise the build (i.e. don't use "make -j4" or whatever)
+ Build the Release rather than Debug variant (handling the debugging
information makes up a large part of the memory usage).

Tim.