[LLVMdev] GSoC project questions.

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 07:53:16 PDT 2013

I always liked the sound of 'flang' :)

I'm curious, what benefits would we see from a "native" Fortran compiler
for LLVM versus DragonEgg, assuming we'd still need the gfortran standard
library anyway (in the short-medium term)?  Or put another way, is there
Fortran code out there we optimize poorly *because* of using DragonEgg?  I
haven't used DragonEgg much, so if this is obvious I apologize.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Anton Korobeynikov <
anton at korobeynikov.info> wrote:

> > Indeed, dragonegg supports Fortran, but through a gfortran bridge. The
> > really interesting part in Fortran is in fact arrays!
> >
> > Anyway, it's just my opinion, I'm a simple user ;)
> Fortran has its own standard library and it's damn big. Also, the
> Fortran grammar is not the simplest (or, rather - straightforward
> one). So this certainly looks too big for GSoC.
>
> Though, it might be a good start for someone.
>
> I believe Bill (CCed) started something few years ago. So, maybe he
> can share his thoughts on this project.
>
> --
> With best regards, Anton Korobeynikov
> Faculty of Mathematics and Mechanics, Saint Petersburg State University

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski