[LLVMdev] recommendation books on code generation?

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Wed Apr 3 08:24:32 PDT 2013

"David Tweed" <david.tweed at arm.com> writes:

> I don't know of a book, but as a suggestion: is there anyone who's
> teaching a course on compilers using LLVM who has the lecture notes
> (or even better actual lectures) online?

The LCC book (A Retargetable C Compiler: Design and Implementation
[Addison-Wesley, 1995, ISBN 0805316701, ISBN-13 9780805316704]) has very
good descriptions of pattern-matching instruction selectors and simple
register allocators.  LLVM doesn't work exactly the same way but the
concepts are similar enough to translate fairly well.

                               -David