[LLVMdev] Debugging atom builds?

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Wed Apr 3 07:17:50 PDT 2013

On 3 April 2013 14:59, Timur Iskhodzhanov <timurrrr at google.com> wrote:

> I'd usually expect tests to work exactly the same way on all platforms.
> If there are things that must be handled differently on different
> platforms, I'd expect those to have a separate test for each platform
> with explicit flags for each of these platforms.

You're absolutely right, but the tests don't necessarily follow the
accepted model.

The main causes of build failure, to my experience are, in order of
probability:

* Bad tests, testing for order in random output or machine-specific
behaviour (lib version, etc)
* Target-specific behaviour on target agnostic tests (as you say, it can be
easily fixed)
* autoconf vs. CMake issues
* bug in LLVM/Clang

What I do is to contact the responsible for the bot and ask him/her to give
me more info on the failure, so I can start the debug process, and go back
and forth until the bug is fixed. The owner can be queried on the bot's
page:

http://lab.llvm.org:8011/buildslaves/atom1-buildbot

cheers,
--renato