[LLVMdev] Default targets and MS Visual C++

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Wed Apr 3 04:07:42 PDT 2013

"Keith Walker" <keith.walker at arm.com> writes:

> When using cmake to configure the LLVM build for building with MS Visual C++
> only the X86 target is built by default, whilst for any other compilation
> system all targets are built by default.
>

> I was just wondering whether there is a current reason for this difference
> of the default targets just for MS Visual C++, or whether all targets should
> now be built for all targets by default?

At the beginning only the JIT and a few command-line tools (those that
work with LLVM IR or assembler, but not with object files) were
effectively usable when working with MSVC++. In that context, there was
no reason to add the overhead of building all the targets.

Maybe today makes more sense to build all the targets by default.