[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] SPIR provisional specification is now available in the Khronos website

James Molloy james at jamesmolloy.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 06:42:26 PDT 2012

Indeed; I agree it is not an implementation detail as potentially valid
SPIR could be almost untranslatable to valid code running on a target
without dedicated workgroup-local memory.

Micah: the problem can be distilled down to: __local variables in SPIR are
represented as Constants (GlobalVariable : public Constant), but they are
not in fact constant, for a device with no workgroup-local memory.

So it is valid SPIR, as the specification stands, to manipulate __local
variables as Constants in a way that is extremely difficult to undo. That
is, in order to transform SPIR to code that can run on a CPU, the
GlobalVariable (which is a subclass of Constant) must be replaced with a
dynamically calculated Value (which is not a subclass of constant).

The GlobalVariable can be used in ConstantExprs (of which there are many
valid), and converting ConstantExprs to their Instruction corrollaries is
very difficult in the general case.

Cheers,

James