[LLVMdev] Go Programming & LLVM/Clang

Duncan Sands baldrick at free.fr
Thu Sep 27 03:37:57 PDT 2012

Hi Georg,

On 27/09/12 12:05, Georg Curnutt wrote:
> I am learning to program with the Go language.

> I am interested in what one of you who know what's up, would suggest to a guy
> learning programming with intentions of using llvm over their standard gcc in
> Go. Is this nuts? Or should I learn it orthodox style and hack it later?

The usual LLVM front-end, clang, doesn't support Go.  The dragonegg plugin will
let you produce LLVM IR from Go, but only because it modifies gcc to use LLVM
for optimization and code generation: it is still the gcc Go front-end.  Also,
dragonegg is not that stable when used with Go (though it mostly works).  If I
were you I would stick with gcc for now.

Ciao, Duncan.