[LLVMdev] mips16 puzzle

Reed Kotler rkotler at mips.com
Tue Sep 25 21:34:36 PDT 2012

We already divided out our classes as you did for ARM.

The problem here is that we have a store/load byte/halfword to/from a
Frame object.

We know at that time that it's not going to be possible to store it
using  SP because there is only such instructions for store/load of a word.

What we would want to do is to move SP into a Mips 16 register and then
do a indexed load/store off of that register.when we finally create the
load/store byte/word instruction.

Hopefully then the aliased virtual register could be shared with other
such virtual registers since SP does not change after the function prologue.

gcc mips actually avoids this problem by always allocating one of the
mips 16 registers as a sort of stack pointer, it's actually at a mid
point in the functions stack frame.

Reed