[LLVMdev] Seperate stack location for outgoing parameters and local variables for custom target?

ryan baird ryanrbaird at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 09:33:11 PDT 2012

I'm working on a target for the intermediate language of another compiler
(so it can benifit from LLVM's optimization stages). I'm working on LLVM
3.1 for now.  I started the translater as a copy of the MIPS target so that
I can just modify it to produce the correct output.

I basically want to replace all of the local variables and incoming
parameters with values that look like this: LOC[i] (where i is the number
of the parameter). This can be done pretty easily if I want it to apply to
everything.  However, outgoing parameters shouldn't be replaced by the
LOC[i] notation.  I've seen that stack locations that are used for
parameters are sometimes also used for local variables.

So here's my question:  Is there a way for me to modify my target to ensure
that no location on the stack will be used for both outgoing parameters and
other stack objects within a single function, and make it easy to
differentiate between outgoing parameters and other local variables?

I see that in the LowerCall function in ISelLowering.cpp, there's this code
(From the MIPS target):

* // Create the frame index object for this incoming parameter
    LastFI = MFI->CreateFixedObject(ValVT.getSizeInBits()/8,
                                    VA.getLocMemOffset(), true);
    SDValue PtrOff = DAG.getFrameIndex(LastFI, getPointerTy());*

This looks like what I might want to change, but I'm not sure what's the
right thing to do.  Here's what I tried to change it to:
*
    LastFI = MFI->CreateStackObject(ValVT.getSizeInBits()/8,
                               VA.getLocMemOffset(), false);
    SDValue PtrOff = DAG.getFrameIndex(LastFI, getPointerTy());*

If I did this, the parameters didn't collide with other local variables
anymore, but it ruined the original calculated offset and allignment (it
started at $sp+0 instead of 16 and the arguments ended up aligned at 8
instead of 4).

Is there a way to do something like this without the stack object being put
in a different place, and perhaps leave a way for me to find out from the
MachineFrameInfo later that this offset is for outgoing parameters?