[LLVMdev] Proposal: New IR instruction for casting between address spaces

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Fri Sep 14 08:15:58 PDT 2012

[Villmow, Micah] So basically we don't need a new IR instructions, but instead
1) bitcasts between pointers of different size is illegal, the proper approach is inttoptr/ptrtoint.
2) bitcasts between pointers of the same size stays legal.
3) No new IR instruction is needed, as converting between pointers of different sizes requires inttoptr/ptrtoint.

The only issues are then to update the verifier to assert on bitcasts between pointers of different sizes and add in auto-upgrade of binaries to switch to inttoptr/ptrtoint. By doing this, I then can clear the way for allowing LLVM to support multiple pointer sizes.

Sound good?

Micah