[LLVMdev] Multi-dimensional array accesses in LLVM-IR | Thoughts

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Sep 12 15:27:33 PDT 2012

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 15:56:25 +0100
Renato Golin <rengolin at systemcall.org> wrote:

> On 12 September 2012 09:38, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:
> > I personally would first have a look at approach '2'.
>
> While I normally argue to leave the IR as it is (since it's a compiler
> IR, not a magical one), I can see some trends going on that should not
> be ignored.
>
> This is one example, where the front-end bends its knees to generate
> IR that LLVM understands, so that you can revert it to what should
> have been in the first place (to analyse parallelism) and convert it
> back again to "correct" IR. As you mentioned, there will be cases that
> the analysis won't work, ex. when receiving an array from a function,
> it could look like an opaque pointer in some architectures.

I agree that this seems suboptimal: information known to the frontend
is lost, and then must be guessed by the backend. This might also be a
case where metadata is helpful.

I also think that it is important to keep in mind that this particular
case is one in which guessing is important. This is because there is a
lot of existing C/C++ code which does manual indexing of
multidimensional arrays, and we should try to support iteration-space
transformations involving those arrays as well.

> Last month, in the Cambridge LLVM Social, David Chisnall asked me
> about a builder that would validate procedure call standards depending
> on the target, so that the front-end could use that to build the
> horrible messes we end up doing in that scenario. Another idea is to
> create a pass that will convert from high-level function declaration
> to low-level target-dependent declaration during the validation phase,
> so the front-end produces "good-looking" calls (with types as-is) and
> the pass makes them target-valid.
>
> This technique could also apply to your case. If the front-end
> supports multi-dimensional access and produces code conforming to
> that,

Do you mean that there is some kind of canonical form that all of the
frontends will use, and that LLVM provides some kind of utility for
generating this canonical form?

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel