[LLVMdev] Unaligned vector memory access for ARM/NEON.

David Peixotto dpeixott at codeaurora.org
Fri Sep 7 16:46:48 PDT 2012

-arm-strict-align is
> just to avoid relying on hardware or OS support for unaligned accesses.
> Using vld1.8/vst1.8 instructions would not require either of those.

Ok, that sounds good to me. I will update the test case as part of my patch.

> > The difference in the flags is between allowing unaligned access for
> > half-word and word load/stores (e.g. ldr/str) and getting around an
> > unaligned access for D registers by using vld1.8/vst1.8 to load/store.
> >
> > It looks to me that a target that supports NEON could support
> > unaligned access for D registers by using vld1.8/vst1.8 regardless of
> > whether it supports unaligned access for other types. Currently these
> > two are tied together into a single flag. The new flag was proposed as
> > a way to make a distinction between these.
>
> If it works on all targets with Neon, regardless of the SCTLR.A setting,
then I
> still don't see the need for a separate flag.

I agree . It wasn't clear to from the code and test case given that the
existing flag (AllowsUnAlignedMem) is actually meant to reflect the SCTLR.A
setting. Given that info I don't see the need for another flag.

> Note that this won't work on big-endian targets where changing the
> vld1/vst1 element size actually changes the behavior of the instructions.

Ok, so would it be best to put an explicit test for endianess in the code?
The td files already contain restrictions some for endianess for selecting
unaligned loads/stores. Probably the safest thing would be an explicit test,
but it sounds like there is not a real effort to support big-endian arm
targets anyway.

I should be able to get the patch together and submit it for review next
week.