[LLVMdev] Unaligned vector memory access for ARM/NEON.

Bob Wilson bob.wilson at apple.com
Thu Sep 6 15:38:38 PDT 2012

On Sep 6, 2012, at 2:48 PM, David Peixotto <dpeixott at codeaurora.org> wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> We ran into the same issue with generating vector loads/stores for vectors
> with less than word alignment. It seems we took a similar approach to
> solving the problem by modifying the logic in allowsUnalignedMemoryAccesses.
>
> As you and Jim mentioned, it looks like the vld1/vst1 instructions should
> support element aligned access for any armv7 implementation (I'm looking at
> Table A3-1 ARM Architecture Reference Manual - ARM DDI 0406C).
>
> Right now I do not think we have the correct code setup in ARMSubtarget to
> accurately represent this table. I would propose that we keep the existing
> field for unaligned access and add a new field for element-aligned access.
>
> The AllowsUnAlignedMem field remains as is and it could be used to represent
> the SCTLR.A column in Table A3-1. The AllowsElementAlignedNEON field would
> be used allow targets to generate vld1/vst1 instructions for element-aligned
> accesses. By default it would be set to true for armv7 targets with NEON.

That doesn't make sense to me.  Element-aligned Neon load/stores are always valid.  The AllowsUnalignedMem setting is supposed to model the SCTLR.A setting, which also applies to Neon load/stores with less-than-element alignment.  Why would we need a new field?

> The -arm-strict-align would set both of the fields to false. This would
> retain the behavior that seems to be desired from the
> test/CodeGen/ARM/unaligned_load_store.ll test case.
>
> A bit of a grey area is if we have an unaligned f64 store and
> AllowsElementAlignedNEON is true. We can actually generate a vstr1.8 to
> support this store directly instead of using the target-independent method
> and I think it would be good to do so.

Don't we already do this as of svn r161962?