[LLVMdev] Unaligned vector memory access for ARM/NEON.

Peter Couperus peter.couperus at st.com
Thu Sep 6 08:13:55 PDT 2012

Hello,

Thanks again.  We did try overestimating the alignment, and saw the vldr
you reference here.
It looks like a recent change (r161962?) did enable vld1 generation for
this case (great!) on darwin, but not linux.
I'm not sure if the effect of lowering load <4 x i16>* align 2 to
vld1.16 this was intentional in this change or not.
If so, my question is what is the preferable way to inform the Subtarget
that it is allowed to use unaligned vector loads/stores when NEON is
available,
but can't use unaligned accesses generally speaking?
A new field in ARMSubtarget?
Should the -arm-strict-align flag force expansion even on unaligned
vector loads/stores?
We got this working by adding a field to ARMSubtarget and changing logic
in ARMTargetLowering::allowsUnalignedMemoryAccesses, but
I am admittedly not entirely sure of the downstream consequences of
this, as we don't allow unaligned access generally.

Pete