[LLVMdev] [NVPTX] powf intrinsic in unimplemented

Dmitry N. Mikushin maemarcus at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 07:02:57 PDT 2012

Dear all,

During app compilation we have a crash in NVPTX backend:

LLVM ERROR: Cannot select: 0x732b270: i64 = ExternalSymbol'__powisf2' [ID=18]

As I understand LLVM tries to lower the following call

%28 = call ptx_device float @llvm.powi.f32(float 2.000000e+00, i32 %8)
nounwind readonly

to device intrinsic. The table llvm/IntrinsicsNVVM.td does not contain
such intrinsic, however it should be builtin, according to
cuda/include/math_functions.h

Is my understanding correct, and we need simply add the corresponding
definition to llvm/IntrinsicsNVVM.td ? How to do that, what are the
rules?

Thanks,
- D.