[LLVMdev] problem trying to write an LLVM register-allocation pass

Susan Horwitz horwitz at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Oct 31 15:54:06 PDT 2012

Thanks Lang!

Here's another question: I'm trying to process this input:

int main() {
   return 0;
}

but I'm getting an error
  Assertion `!Fn.getRegInfo().getNumVirtRegs() && "Regalloc must assign
all vregs"' failed.

At the start of runOnMachineFunction I call
Fn.getRegInfo().getNumVirtRegs();
and find that there is 1 virtual register.  However,  MRI->reg_empty(vreg)
tells me that it is not used or defined.  So my register-allocation code
never sees it, and thus can't allocate a preg for it.  I tried using
MRI->replaceRegWith(vreg, preg);
(where preg is available to vreg's register class) but that didn't work.
  When I look, the number of vregs in the function is still 1.

Can you help with this?

Thanks again!

Susan