[LLVMdev] Debugging/Fixing 'Interval not live at use' errors

Stephen McGruer stephen.mcgruer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:02:50 PDT 2012

Thanks for the suggestion. I ran verify-machineinstrs and found that I've
definitely been doing something wrong, for quite a while at least (I assume
that live interval analysis and the particular benchmark just happened to
expose it). Results are at http://pastebin.com/5zeUDVXK.

I'm not entirely sure what is wrong here - I assume it has something to do
with my 'special' instruction LDri_ab. This instruction is a load with an
'address writeback' - ld.ab r0, [r1, 5] is equivalent to ld r0, [r1]; add
r1, r1, 5. As it was very difficult to match such behaviour automatically,
I actually only generate them manually for prologue/epilogue emission, so
the tablegen def is like:

def LDri_ab : Pseudo<(outs CPURegs:$src), (ins MEMri:$addr),
                    "ld.ab $src,$addr",
                    []>;

I'm guessing that the warning is because such an instruction doesn't tell
LLVM what it uses nor what it kills? Is there a way I can do this?
Alternatively, if the reason is something else, I'd be happy to know that
too ;).

Stephen