[LLVMdev] Predication on SIMD architectures and LLVM

dag at cray.com dag at cray.com
Mon Oct 22 10:10:20 PDT 2012

Ralf Karrenberg <Chareos at gmx.de> writes:

> I am sure I've seen some postings on the list concerning architectures
> that support predicated execution and how to map that to LLVM IR, I'm
> just not sure anymore when and who was involved :).

I was one of them.  I suggested adding general predication to the LLVM
IR but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.  Dan Gohman had
another idea on how to represent predicate masks but that also didn't
relaly go anywhere.

None of your proposed solutions is ideal.  We really should have
first-class predication in the IR.  It's only going to get more
important.

                      -David