[LLVMdev] DWARF 2/3 backwards compatibility?

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 14:15:07 PDT 2012

> When creating Dwarf tests I did it at all levels: IR checking for
> metadata, ELF checking for Dwarf and GDB execution checking for
> correct behaviour.

Agreed. This is how I've been doing it for a while now.

> All that as LIT driven, so a "make check" would give me the results in
> a few seconds, with the benefit of a good dev iteration, as David
> mentioned.

Quite.

> Since GDB already has a good and standard test infrastructure, it'd
> likely get a good chunk of bad Dwarf our of the way before you start
> worrying about Lauterbach's specifics.

The gdb testsuite is pretty good as a "what's expected" set of tests,
however, one thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the checks aren't
particularly fuzzy. I.e. it checks what's expected but it's not
necessarily valid dwarf that it's looking for but a particular
behavior.

-eric