[LLVMdev] problem with my LLVM pass

Sameer Sahasrabuddhe sameer.sahasrabuddhe at amd.com
Thu Oct 18 04:22:58 PDT 2012

On Fri, 5 Oct 2012 13:04:46 +0530
Jun Koi <junkoi2004 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i am wondering if this link is still updated?
>
> http://www.llvm.org/docs/CMake.html#developing-llvm-pass-out-of-source
>
> i follow the instruction from the link, and create in my ~/test/
> directory the CMakeLists.txt with following content:

<snip>

> CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:1 (find_package):
>   Could not find module FindLLVM.cmake or a configuration file for
> package LLVM.

This error occurs when llvm-config is not in the path. I tried the same
thing by copying the CMake snippets from the above page into a new file:

$ cd test
$ cat CMakeLists.txt
find_package(LLVM)

# Define add_llvm_* macro's.
include(AddLLVM)

add_definitions(${LLVM_DEFINITIONS})
include_directories(${LLVM_INCLUDE_DIRS})
link_directories(${LLVM_LIBRARY_DIRS})

add_subdirectory(<pass name>)

add_llvm_loadable_module(LLVMPassname
  Pass.cpp
  )

$ cmake .

Everything worked at this stage.

But if I removed llvm-config from my PATH, I get the following error
instead:

$ cmake .
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:1 (find_package):
  Could not find module FindLLVM.cmake or a configuration file for
package LLVM.

  Adjust CMAKE_MODULE_PATH to find FindLLVM.cmake or set LLVM_DIR to the
  directory containing a CMake configuration file for LLVM.  The file
  will have one of the following names:

    LLVMConfig.cmake
    llvm-config.cmake

So I tried what cmake says:

$ cmake -DLLVM_DIR=/usr/share/llvm/cmake .

This worked with both 2.8.3 and 2.8.9

Hope that helps!
Sameer.