[LLVMdev] Loop vectorizer

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Wed Oct 17 00:43:26 PDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

Is there a reason to use metadata here as opposed to just keeping state in the analysis pass?

> To give you a broad idea, this includes information like:
> - uniform/varying operation
> - same/consecutive/random index vector (for load/store)
> - aligned/unaligned index vector (for load/store)
> - operations that can not be vectorized (marked as "split", e.g.
> non-vectorizable types etc.)
> - operations that need to be split and guarded (e.g. unknown calls,
> stores)
> - mandatory/optional blocks (renamed from "divergent"/"non-divergent"
> in
> [2])
> - divergent/non-divergent loops

Sounds great!

> Generally, it would be possible to implement a loop vectorizer on top
> of
> WFV simply by running a loop dependency analysis to determine if the
> loop in question is vectorizable, extracting the loop body into a
> function, running WFV on it, and inlining the call again.

I presume that we could refactor your code in combination with Nadav's work to directly vectorize loop bodies as well. Do you disagree?

> I am willing to provide all of my implementation as soon as required.
> I hope to have mostly finished the rewrite at that point.

I encourage you to do this as soon as possible, otherwise I think that we might miss the opportunity to take advantage of your work in current development.

Thanks again,
Hal

> Cheers,
> Ralf
>

> [1] "Whole-Function Vectorization", Karrenberg and Hack, CGO'11
> [2] "Improving Performance of OpenCL on CPUs", Karrenberg and Hack,
> CC'12

Hal Finkel
Postdoctoral Appointee
Leadership Computing Facility